Sunday, February 11, 2007

Sport or Not a Sport? (v1.0)

Sport or not a sport? That is the question. Today I will answer it for golf, an activity often found on ESPN despite its dubious connections to athleticism. Let me make this clear from the start: golf is hard. Really hard. I suck at it and I respect anyone who does not. Tiger Woods, who is in shape, is an athlete. But many golfers aren't. So now I shall tackle age old question: is golf a sport?

No. Golf has sporting elements to it: driving the ball, walking... well that's pretty much it. Any "sport" where this guy can grossly outperform me, an athletic 22 year old male, is not a true sport. Golf is an activity. It requires a ton of skill, yes, but not athleticism. If you are in shape, like Tiger Woods, you will be better at golf. But, as Phil Mickelson has proved, you can still be quite successful despite having bitchtits. There are 80 year old men out there considerably better at golf than athletic men 1/4 their age. Which is fine. But it isn't a sport. Golf can be mildly entertaining. Despite my tremendous lack of skill - my handicap is three digits - I always thoroughly enjoy it. It deserves to be televised. But it does not belong on sports networks. And don't even get me started on poker.

No comments: