Thursday, January 17, 2008

Now This Is Bad Parenting

While reading the paper today I came across this article about a Wisconsin man and his 7 year old son. Here's an excerpt:

"Upset that his 7-year-old son wouldn't wear a Green Bay Packers Jersey during the team's playoff victory Saturday, a man restrained the boy for an hour with tape and taped the jersey onto him."

The man was charged with disorderly conduct and fined $186. While what he did seems pretty awful - and it was - the bigger question is, "Why would a 7-year-old boy living in Wisconsin refuse to wear a Packers jersey if his dad was such a big fan?" Why on Earth would your own son not want to wear the team's jersey? I got my first Eagles jersey when I was 9 and it felt 8 years too late. I was thrilled to finally get one. And my dad isn't even that huge of an Eagles fan.

It's one thing if you live in another city and your kids want to root for the local teams because all their friends do. It's another thing entirely when you live in Wisconsin and your son refuses to wear a Packer's jersey. Regardless of whether or not you taped the kid up, you have failed as a father.

No comments: