Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Clearly Chase Utley Was Holding the Phillies Back

Well, they're 4-0 without him. Iguchi is playing well, and Cole Hamels was as studly as ever tonight, going 8 innings, allowing one run and striking out 8. Obviously I want Utley back as soon as possible, but it appears that the Phillies will be fine without him if the pitching holds up. Yes, thats a very, very big if, but Myers is back (got the save tonight) and they just picked up Kyle Lohse, which I guess was a good trade provided A.) he doesn't suck, and B.) Matt Maloney isn't awesome in two years.

Bad news about Bourn and Victorino both getting hurt. I guess Greg Dobbs will start in right, which is fine if the opposing pitcher isn't a lefty, but this leaves the Phils without a lead off hitter. Iguchi? Your guess is as good as mine. I never I'd say this, but Jason Werth, I miss you.

I'm tired of these injuries, and it isn't just the Phillies. The only team of my lifetime that stayed healthy (and that had any talent) was the '93 Phillies, and they were fucking awesome. Every year it's always something with the Eagles and Phillies (and to a degree, the Sixers and Flyers, the latter being dead to me). Someone, or multiple key players, gets hurt. This year's Phils? Yup. Last year's Eagles? Oh yeah. Every other god damn team I root for? Seems that way. Whatever, I'm whining more than Bill Simmons does about Boston sports, and that's just unacceptable. Especially when the Phillies have won 9 of 10. That being said, if Ryan Howard's leg falls of, I quit.

No comments: