Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Don't Act Like You're Not Impressed


Two days ago the Phoenix Suns played their last game in January, and it was, crazily enough, their first loss of the month as well. And it took a 44 point effort from KG as well as stellar play from the rest of the T-Wolves to do it. The Suns were 15-1 in January. 15 and fucking 1! That's good. And so, as NBA fans across the globe slowly remove their jaws from the floor, I couldn't help but gawk just a little bit longer at how good this team has been.

Now I don't get too many chances to see the Suns play. I'm either always at work (where I can at least see highlights), out drinking, or sleeping off a night of drinking till 3pm, as I did Sunday despite intending to watch the Suns play. Actually, I don't even think I went out Saturday night, but that's beside the point. The point is Steve Nash had 15 assists and NO turnovers. That's incredible. The great John Stockton himself would have been damn proud of that line.

So naturally, the Suns are way ahead of the competition in the NBA right? Um, wrong. If the season ended today, Dallas would be the number 1 seed in the west. So why aren't they getting nearly as much press as Phoenix? Well, Dallas hasn't been ripping off 15 game win streaks. They prefer to just win 9 out of every 10. Less flashy. Phoenix has now had TWO win streaks of 15 games. Incredible. Yet, they have the same number of losses (9) as Dallas. And neither of these teams started well. Dallas lost their first 4, only win their next 12. Then they dropped 3 out of 5, and since then have won 23 of 25. Astounding. Phoenix dropped 6 of their first 9 and has since won 33 of 36. Unbelievable. Rest assured, I will NOT miss these two teams playing each other in the playoffs. It is gonna be awesome. I doubt I will be able to say the same about the actual NBA finals. Oh well. By then baseball will be in full swing anyway.

Mmmm
, baseball. Only 59 more days till Opening Day.

No comments: