Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An Eventful Day in the World of Philly Sports

Before I get into the craziness that was August 21st in Philadelphia (Hamels, Trotter, Eddie Griffin - no, not that Eddie Griffin) I need to clear the air about this blog. For the longest time this has been a Philly sports blog posing as a general sports blog. Those days, dear readers, if there are in fact any of you, are over. I will no longer pretend to write a sports blog that covers all sports. It's too hard to do by yourself. Let me clarify that - it's to hard to do and do well by yourself. It's gotten to the point where I'm posting every three days (if that) and half the time it's just a blurb about what the Phillies did. That would be cool if this were a Philly blog, but it wasn't. At least not in theory.

Well, now it is. Will I occasionally still write about the goings on of non-Philly athletes? Of course, but I'll probably just do it at The Ghosts of Wayne Fontes. I'll link to it here, but this blog will be reserved for what happens here in the Two One Five. So what does that mean for those of you reading this? Well, more frequent posting, for starters. And well informed, entirely pessimistic, snarky and overtly critical posting at that. You can bet that I will be committed to covering the Phillies, Eagles, Sixers, and maybe even Flyers to the best of my ability. I also think I'm going to do NFL picks once the season starts for you gamblers out there (I'm looking at you, Todd). I gotta write what I know, and I know Philly sports to a degree that no one really should. Many thanks to those who still read this, and I promise that it will still be worth reading, even if you aren't a Philly sports fan.

Ok, so some big things happened today. I'll start with Cole Hamels, who will miss his next start due to elbow tenderness. I don't know what the fuck that means, but I don't like it. He's already logged 30 more innings than he logged last year, and here's hoping this is a very minor issue. The Phillies have no shot at the postseason if he isn't 100%.

The Eagles released Jeremiah Trotter today, after 7 non-consecutive seasons with the team. Trotter was a figurehead of the Eagles' defense and his locker room presence will no doubt be missed. The Eagles brass couldn't offer up much of reason for this, other than the fact that Trotter has lost a couple steps. This may indeed be true, but I'm still not sure I like this. It would be one thing if the Eagles were deep at linebacker, but they aren't. They're one injury away from starting Matt McCoy. Yikes. Still, the Eagles have always been good about getting rid of veterans at the right time, so we'll see. Number 54 will go down as one of the best linebackers to wear green and white, and I hope that if he does retire, he comes back as some sort of coach.

Last but not least, Eddie Griffin, former Roman Catholic star and NBA player died in a car accident on Friday. He somehow managed to crash his SUV into a train near Houston. His body was so badly damaged that he had to be identified by dental records. His NBA career was very up and down, as he was released by the Timberwolves in March. Griffin was only 25 years old. This is a sad, sad story for one of Philadelphia's best high school basketball players ever, and he will no doubt be missed by many residents of the city.

On a lighter note, the Phillies won and Tom Gordon didn't blow it despite having a chance to lose the game in the 8th. He instead pitched a 1-2-3 inning, and Myers pitched the 9th for the save. Kendrick got the win and Jayson Werth mad a couple of great throws in right field, seemingly channeling Shane "The Throwin' Samoan" Victorino. The Phils are now tied with San Diego for the Wild Card lead.

No comments: